The academic year is divided into two semesters, fall and spring, each lasting approximately fifteen weeks. The fall semester at the School of Journalism & Mass Communications starts on October 1st and ends in mid-January. The spring semester starts in early February and ends in late May. Each semester is followed by an examination period of approximately twenty days.
Exact dates are set by the University Senate.
Every semester, before the beginning of each exam period, students are encouraged to evaluate their courses and instructors, in order to improve the quality of their studies. More information is available at the website of the Quality Assurance Unit (MODIP-AUTh http://qa.auth.gr/en) and the website of their Faculty/School.
During July and August no courses or exams are held.
Holidays also include:
- Christmas Holidays: (two weeks) December 24 to January 7
- Carnival Holidays: from Thursday before Lent to the day after Lent Monday
- Easter Holidays: (two weeks) from the Monday of Easter Week to the Sunday after Easter Sunday
- October 26: Saint Dimitrios Day – Feast of the city’s Patron Saint. Liberation of Thessaloniki from the Ottoman occupation (National Holiday)
- October 28: National celebration
- November 17: Students’ uprising in the National Technical University of Athens against the junta in 1973
- January 30: The Three Patron Saints of Education Day
- March 25: National Anniversary of the revolution of 1821 against the Turkish rule
- May 1: Labour Day
Holy Spirit Day: (Monday after Pentecost)